- Job Title
- Senior HR Advisor
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 20 Jun 2019
- Starting Salary
- £31,250 - £34,400
- Hours per week
- Expected/Ideal Start Date
- 02 Sep 2019
- Months Duration
- Interview Date
- 27 Jun 2019
Main Purpose of the Job
The Norwich BioScience Institutes Partnership (NBIP) have an exciting opportunity for a Senior HR Advisor to join their busy Human Resources department.
The Norwich Bioscience Institutes (NBI) carry out internationally renowned scientific research and training in the fields of plant, microbial, food and genome research and are based at the Norwich Research Park on the outskirts of Norwich.
The HR team supports the Earlham Institute, the John Innes Centre, the Quadram Institute Bioscience and the NBI Partnership. Each customer has different needs and the HR team support them in the delivery of their strategic plans by providing organisational development and a customer focused HR service.
This Senior HR Advisor will support and assist in the provision of a professional HR service to researchers, managers and staff ensuring the employee life cycle is managed pragmatically reflecting our policies, procedures and best practice.
The role will cover the full spectrum of HR activity supporting talent management, performance management, employee relations, policy development and change management, supporting staff and colleagues. Over time, the post holder may become the HR lead for some business areas.
It is important that the successful candidate has a good understanding of employment law and the ability to identify pragmatic and innovative solutions to problems. An aptitude for researching, compiling and interpreting data and writing reports is desirable.
• HR Team
• Staff at all levels across the institutes
• Other shared service teams
• Employee Forums/Trade Union
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- 1. Providing HR advice and support to managers and staff
• To provide advice, practical expertise and guidance on terms and conditions of employment and a range of employment matters ensuring legally compliant and pragmatic solutions are developed.
• To manage sickness cases and ensure appropriate support is provided, making referrals to Occupational Health, providing advice to line managers and reporting any complex issues to the HR Managers.
• To contribute towards the implementation of performance management processes, including the annual Performance Review, monitoring and reporting on progress and compliance.
• Provide appropriate advice and coaching to managers on Disciplinary, Capability and Grievance Procedures. Supporting the HR Managers on more complex cases.
• To assist in the preparation of periodic reports as required and provide accurate and timely management information as required.
• To support the promotion processes within each institute, ensuring these cases are progressed in a timely manner.
• Management of performance awards across the NBI.
• Management of staff surveys.
• To contribute to continuous improvement in all HR activities to ensure excellent service.
• Carry out job evaluation, grading reviews, as required.
- 2. Supporting HR change initiatives and developments
• Under the direction of the HR Managers and/or Head of HR, work on projects to support the achievement of the annual HR action plans and developments across NBI.
• Work with the HR team to develop and implement improvements to HR policies, systems and processes.
• Regularly review the HR intranet, policies and procedures to ensure that they are up to date, effective and provide the necessary information.
• Undertake relevant research and support the compilation, interpretation and analysis of complex data and information, produce high quality, informative and concise reports on a range of HR related topics to support new initiatives.
• Support the development of legally compliant HR policies and processes.
• Support the HR Managers/Head of HR in HR projects, including re-structuring initiatives and/or redundancy matters.
• Manage recruitment exercises, the production of employment contracts, extensions and visas as required.
• Support management in developing senior level job descriptions, person specifications, adverts and assessment processes to support organisational developments.
• Provide cover for HR Managers at peak times.
• Any other HR activity commensurate with the nature of the post.
Education & Qualifications
- CIPD qualified
- Degree or equivalent
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- A good understanding of HR processes, employee relations and employment legislation
- Understanding of contracts of employment and conditions of service
- MS Office and HR systems
- Proven numeracy skills
- Substantial generalist HR experience, including employee relations and employment law
- Recent casework experience, including disciplinary, grievance and sickness absence management
- Able to provide advice to managers on sickness, parental leave, promotion processes, recruitment, grading reviews and pay
- Ability to produce professional well written, clear and concise reports
- Experience in an academic or research environment
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Organised and structured, with proven ability to effectively manage competing demands
- Demonstrates drive and ability to work on own initiative to achieve results
- Positive, pro-active and committed to delivering for our customers
- A strong team player who is committed to working collaboratively, shares best practice and contributes to the overall success of the HR team
- A confident communicator with good interpersonal skills
- Establishes credibility and builds effective relationships with key stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Tactful and diplomatic
- Results focussed with a flexible approach to ensure delivery in a timely fashion
- Understanding of equality and diversity
- Complies with, information security procedures, including confidentiality and data protection
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours when required
- Attention to detail
Who We Are
The NBI Partnership provides non-scientific services to the John Innes Centre (JIC), Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB), Earlham Institute (EI) and The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL). All of these organisations carry out scientific research funded by the UK Government, European Union, Charitable and Industrial Sponsors. The Partnership employs around 140 staff to cater for the needs of approximately 1100 Research Staff, Students and Visiting Scientists who are all located in close proximity on the Norwich Research Park.
The John Innes Centre, Quadram Institute Bioscience, the Earlham Institute and The Sainsbury Laboratory are registered charities (No’s 223852, 1058499, 1136213 and 106550) and are Equal Opportunity Employers..
Senior HR Advisor
Salary £31,250 - £34,400
37 hours per week / Permanent contract
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced HR Advisor to join our busy HR team delivering a comprehensive and effective HR service to the Earlham Institute, the John Innes Centre, the Quadram Institute Bioscience and the Norwich Bioscience Institutes Partnership. Based at the Norwich Research Park, the institutes carry out internationally renowned scientific research and training in the fields of plant, microbial, food and genome research, tackling major challenges of the 21st Century.
The Senior HR Advisor will help deliver the people agenda and play a central role in the HR team. For the successful candidate, this role will provide the opportunity to develop your HR career within a fast-paced, service orientated team.
The ideal candidate:
You should be passionate about providing an excellent HR service that meets the needs of our customers in this unique environment. The role will encompass the full range of HR activities including employee relations, case management, talent management and performance management. The ability to deliver and develop excellent relationships will be key to establishing your success in the role.
The post holder will work to develop and implement the HR plans for each institute and provide support on HR issues and projects, supporting organisational development initiatives and the continuous improvement of the HR service.
Ideally, CIPD qualified, with substantial generalist experience, candidates should be well organised, excellent communicators and have a “can do” approach.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £31,250 to £34,400 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full time post offered on a permanent basis.
Interviews are expected to take place on Thursday 27 June 2019.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
The NBI Partnership provides an exciting and stimulating multidisciplinary environment in which to work. Set in 230 hectares of parkland, we are an equal opportunities employer with a comprehensive benefits package including: competitive starting salaries, on-site parking, defined contribution pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement and excellent recreational and leisure facilities.
The closing date for applications will be 20 June 2019.