- Job Title
- Soft Services Cleaning Supervisor
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 10 Apr 2023
- Starting Salary
- £20,650 - £25,025
- Hours per week
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
The role includes ensuring delivery of high quality, flexible cleaning services for the Norwich Bioscience Institutes Partnership (NBIP), John Innes Centre (JIC), Earlham Institute (EI) and The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL).
Regular communication with institute representatives to ensure that service delivery meets current and changing science needs and provides best-value.
Monitoring cleaning standards in context with agreed cleaning schedules, reviewing the performance of the cleaning team including planned cleaning tasks and responses to reactive or ad-hoc requests.
Monitoring stock levels, ordering consumables and responding to complaints, ensuring satisfactory resolution.
Overseeing safe systems of work and risk management processes for the cleaning team including the cleaning products used.
Working with the Janitor Supervisor to provide cover for periods of leave or absence.
Support the Facilities Soft Services Coordinator by providing service delivery, quality and performance information.
Due to 24-hour operation of the site flexibility within working pattern is required.
Accountable to: Facilities Soft Services Coordinator
Responsible for: Soft Services Cleaning Teams
Liaison with the Janitor Supervisor including providing cover during periods of absence.
The post holder will meet key stakeholders such as Laboratory Managers, Horticulture Manager, Building Managers and the Conference Centre Manager to ensure that the services delivered meet changing and emerging business needs
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Support the Soft Services Coordinator by providing day to day management of the in-house cleaning service and implementing directed service improvements.
- Directly manage day to day task allocation for the cleaning team.
- Support emergency procedures by implementing relevant policies and procedures.
- Regularly liaise with representatives within NBIP, JIC, EI and TSL to ensure services meet user requirements.
- Lead the Cleaning Team by:
• Delivering Induction training for staff, including refresher and specialist training
• Providing updates related to changes in work pattern, new products and equipment
• Specific task allocation and the provision of guidance and direction
• Scheduling and delivery of cleaning activities
• Monitoring the quality of cleaning services delivery
• Managing annual leave whilst ensuring services continue to be delivered with minimal disruption
• Managing sickness absence whilst ensuring service continuity
• Ensuring that COSSH information is kept up to date
• Identifying and ordering the consumables required to support service delivery
The post holder is expected to cover staff absence by spending a proportion of their time directly delivering a cleaning service.
• Oversee performance of in-house services and support contracted service delivery monitoring.
• Provide service activity information to support the production of regular facilities soft services performance reports.
• Monitor the implementation of relevant policies and procedures related to delivery of cleaning services highlighting any areas for improvement.
• Ensure that significant risks are identified, assessed and that suitable controls are implemented where required.
• Ensure that risk assessments and safe operating procedures are kept up to date for all tasks under the post holder’s control
- Customer Liaison
• Regularly engage with key stakeholders to ensure that service delivery supports science operational requirements.
• Implement cleaning schedules agreed with institute representatives which meet their business needs
• Ensure that direct reports have SMART objectives which support delivery of best practice and safe systems of work, implement a process of regular (at least quarterly) performance monitoring.
• Undertake probationary reviews and support when necessary disciplinary, capability and grievance procedures
- Health, Safety and Risk
• Assist in the promotion of a positive Health and Safety culture by implementing safe systems of work and ensuring that significant risks are assessed and managed appropriately.
• Work Pattern – The normal working day will start from 6am - 7am Monday to Friday although a flexible approach to working hours is required. • As agreed with the line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post.
Education & Qualifications
- IWFM Level 2 and recent relevant experience
- NEBOSH Award/IOSH Health and Safety Certificate or equivalent
- NVQ Level 2, Leadership and Management, or be working towards this type of qualification
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Good IT skills and familiar with the normal range of software e.g. Word, Excel, Microsoft Project etc
- Broad knowledge of cleaning services
- Ability to motivate and develop staff and effectively deal with any under performance
- Ability to take initiative and promote ideas and improvements
- Able to create a high-performance culture
- Good decision-making skills with an ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources
- Team management skills
- Incident investigation skills and root cause analysis
- Recent evidence of leading a team
- Experience of working in a demanding, customer focused environment
- Risk Management experience and the development and implementation of action or improvement plans
- Recent experience of successfully leading a soft FM service team
- Experience of supporting operational change, including asset impact, resource consequences and developing new ways of working.
- Evidence of successfully delivering complex service programmes
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Interpersonal and social skills to build close working relationships at all levels and with stakeholders
- Good written and verbal communication skills with an ability to engage with employees at all levels
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Evidence of continual personal development
- A flexible working attitude
- Willingness to embrace the values and behaviours of the NBI Partnerships, ensuring it is a great place to work
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours when required
- Attention to detail
- Full current UK driving licence or ability to travel
Who We Are
The NBI Partnership provides non-scientific services to the John Innes Centre (JIC), Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB), Earlham Institute (EI) and The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL). All of these organisations carry out scientific research funded by the UK Government, European Union, Charitable and Industrial Sponsors. The Partnership employs around 140 staff to cater for the needs of approximately 1100 Research Staff, Students and Visiting Scientists who are all located in close proximity on the Norwich Research Park.
The John Innes Centre, Quadram Institute Bioscience, the Earlham Institute and The Sainsbury Laboratory are registered charities (No’s 223852, 1058499, 1136213 and 106550) and are Equal Opportunity Employers.
For more information about working at NBI Partnership, please click here.
Living in Norfolk
Soft Services Cleaning Supervisor
The Norwich Bioscience Institutes Partnership (NBIP) has an exciting opportunity for a Soft Services Cleaning Supervisor to join their busy Facilities department.
The Norwich Bioscience Institutes are a cluster of internationally renowned research organisations, working to tackle major challenges of the 21st Century – the sustainability of our environment, our food supplies and healthy ageing.
The NBI Partnership provides high quality, non-scientific support services for the diverse community of staff, students and visiting workers at the Institutes (the Earlham Institute, John Innes Centre, The Sainsbury Laboratory and Quadram Institute Bioscience) and for the NBI Partnership.
Based on the Norwich Research Park amongst 230 hectares of parkland, you will be joining a committed, professional and welcoming team. In addition, you will enjoy a competitive salary and annual leave, our defined contribution pension scheme, excellent recreational facilities and a range of other employee benefits.
The Facilities Department provides unique Facilities Management Services to the John Innes Institute, the Sainsbury Laboratories, and the Earlham Institute. Our prime objective is to deliver safe, high quality scientific environments, which support scientists involved with market leading, world class research, and our Cleaning Team is a key part of providing this environment.
• The role includes ensuring delivery of high quality, flexible cleaning services for the Norwich Bioscience Institutes Partnership (NBIP), John Innes Centre (JIC), Earlham Institute (EI) and The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL).
• Regular communication with institute representatives to ensure that service delivery meets current and changing science needs and provides best-value.
• Monitoring cleaning standards in context with agreed cleaning schedules, reviewing the performance of the cleaning team including planned cleaning tasks and responses to reactive or ad-hoc requests.
• Monitoring stock levels, ordering consumables and responding to complaints, ensuring satisfactory resolution.
• Overseeing safe systems of work and risk management processes for the cleaning team including the cleaning products used.
• Working with the Janitor Supervisor to provide cover for periods of leave or absence.
• Support the Facilities Soft Services Coordinator by providing service delivery, quality and performance information.
The ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate will have broad knowledge of cleaning services and experience of working in a demanding, customer focused environment. This will have good IT skills and be familiar with the normal range of software e.g. Word, Excel, Microsoft Project etc along with the ability to take initiative and promote ideas and improvements.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £20,650 to £25,025 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time post offered on an indefinite basis.
Please note, this post does not meet UKVI requirements to provide visa sponsorship.
The NBI Partnership is an equal opportunities and disability confident employer. We are committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining the best talent, and welcome all applications.
The closing date for applications will be 10 April 2023.